WAW009 – Pz. Kpwf. IV Ausf. D
In October 1938, Fried Krupp-Grusonwerk AG plants signed a contract for the construction of 200 Panzer IV Ausf. D tanks as part of the 4/BW series. At the end of 1938, between November and December, SS troops placed an additional order for 48 of these tanks as part of the 5/BW series. Finally, from September 1939 to October 1940, the Fried Krupp-Grusonwerk AG plant in Magdeburg (factory code: bgo) manufactured 229 Panzer IV Ausf. D tanks with factory numbers 80501-80748. The remaining 16 chassis were used to build bridge layer tanks Brukenleger IV b. 2 chassis were used to build prototypes of self-propelled guns 10.5 cm K18L/52 (in January 1941, Krupp plants built 2 prototypes, i.e. Panzer Selbsfahrlaffette IV or Dicker Max), and in November 1939, 1 chassis was used to build a prototype of an ammunition vehicle for Karl (Munitionstrager fur Karlgerat). Panzer IV Ausf. D, was again fitted with a bent front plate of the superstructure, silmilar to that which appeared on the initial Ausf. A, but its thickness was increased from 14.5 mm to 30 mm, the design of the ball mount (Kugelblende 30) of the radio operator’s MG 34 machine gun was changed, the pistol aperture was changed and a new type of driver’s visor (Fahrersehklappe 30) was introduced. The K.F.F.2 periscope was installed above the driver’s visor. In the superstructure, the shape of the side visors of the driver and radio operator/hull machine gunner was changed. Ventilation openings in the side plates on both sides of the engine compartment were modified. From that moment on, it was possible to cover some or all of the openings. In the inspection access covers on the top plate of the engine compartment, the shape of the claw locks was changed in comparison with versions Ausf. A – C. The suspension of the Ausf. D version was also modified. 5 stops (on each side of the vehicle) were introduced to limit the movement range of the suspension (Schwinearmanschlag). In previous versions of Ausf. A – C, only the first and last suspension arms had such a stop. A new type of track was introduced (Kgs 6111/380/120). The turret was now fitted with an external covering plate for the gun mantlet with an additional 35 mm thick armour. The design of the visor covers in the turret side plates and the visors in the manhole covers of the loader and gunner was changed. Small changes were made to the two-piece hatch cover of the commander. All visors were protected with 90 mm thick armour glass. The number of rounds for the MG 34 machine guns increased to 3,150 (in 21 double drum magazines or bags for 150 rounds). The combat weight of the tank was 20,000 kg.